Travel warnings Peru
Elizabeth "Lilly" Littlewood, a 26-year-old girl from Newcastle, Australian Continent, along with her lover were using a taxi to Lima airport as soon as the incident occurred, according to reports.
The motorist pulled a weapon in the set, shooting Littlewood in the stomach as she tried to escape. She is now recovering in Lima medical center after undergoing surgery.
Aside from the real and emotional traumatization endured by Littlewood and her partner, the assault normally a blow for the part of Lima, which prides it self on becoming a somewhat safe location for tourists to South America - a well known vacation jaunt for the World Nomads community.
This horrible situation drives home the idea that protection should always be viewed when travelling. It is sometimes simply a question of "wrong location, wrong time" - but there are numerous things that can be done to attenuate the chance:
Protection strategies for travelling in Peru
- Use the services of one of three official taxi businesses located at desks directly beyond your Overseas and Domestic Arrival halls within airport.
- Stay away from taxis that run on roads. Also, search for lights over the taxi, and correct signage in the car to make sure your taxi is legitimate.
- For those who have baggage, you shouldn't take a station wagon cab where your baggage can be seen, as it draws robbers, who utilize smart phones to advise accomplices to put on up the taxi and rob you further over the road.
- Never ever leave your baggage in cab using the driver driving. There has been situations in which passengers 've got completely with regards to baggage however in a choice of the cab or boot and also the motorist has driven off.
- Know about the risk of "express kidnappings" - short term, opportunistic abductions. Victims are chosen randomly and forced to clear their particular bank reports. The incidence with this in Peru features lessened lately, but nonetheless occurs sometimes.
- Females should be careful at bus terminals, whenever hiring or engaging in taxis, and steer clear of remote places specially after dark.
- Be tuned in to the accessibility and feasible usage of "date rape" alongside drugs.
- Tourists should really be careful if visiting the Sacsahuayman damages outside Cuzco at dawn, dusk, or nighttime, since roving gangs have in the past preyed on unsuspecting tourists.